Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ward and Ward Christmas Party

First of all, can I just say how much I love our new ward? The people really are so genuine, kind and care about others. Now I know that no ward is perfect, but I'm not expecting that... it's more that they just have a feeling about them that you hope to find at church. Anyway, Micah and I had to give talks on Sunday about gratitude and they had to be 15 minutes which was nerve wracking for me. I've given "grown-up" talks several times, but they were only 8 or 9 minutes long. Well we of course got compliments on Sunday about our talks as usual, but they didn't just happen right after sacrament but continued on through all three hours. Then tonight we had our ward Christmas party and I can't even begin to tell you how many people came up to us and talked to us about our talks. Not only would they say great talks, but they would also talk to us about what their thoughts were while listening. It was pretty crazy. We even had several people tell us they talked about them for home teaching, family home evening, to the young men, discussions at home, letters sent to missionaries, and one lady told Micah that she just couldn't get one of his quotes out of her head. Now I'm certainly not writing this to brag about Micah or I. We whole-heartedly recognize that they were good talks because we love to quote the Apostles and scriptures and we know that what they preach is doctrine. In a way we only spent a couple of hours each working on a talk with doctrine that the Apostles and Prophets live and preach. They would not have been successful otherwise. I'm more mentioning these things to demonstrate the care that our ward has for it's members and the fact that many of these people actually take what they hear to heart and apply it in their lives. Also, our ward Christmas party was just so much fun. It was very basic, but it had a warm feeling to it and we really feel a part of this ward and want to fully participate in all the activities. I just want to leave you with one thought that a man in our ward shared with us when talking to us about our talks; "You don't see things as they are, you see things as you are." I just really loved this quote and completely agree.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote that man said (at the bottom of the post). It is so true! Glad your talks went so well and your ward is so wonderful! A good ward makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete